For so many people the new year begins with a promise to get in shape. "This year, it'll be different," but usually it's not. About two weeks in (if we make it that far) we start to fail at our gym routine and, like every year prior, we trade the treadmill for the television.
My boyfriend, Miss Amy, and I have been very good at our workout routine since the end of 2010 and (so far) show no signs of giving into the temptations of the sofa. I always find that the best way to get on a routine and stay on it is to reward yourself with new clothes/gadgets/tools to motivate yourself. Positive reinforcement through presents? Yes. Here are some of my work-out favorites. Whatever it takes to keep you sweating, right?
1. Tech Stretch Hoodie, Athleta, $118- because you need something to keep you warm on the way there! I don't have this (yet) but it looks practical and cute- win win!
2. Tri-Blend Racerback Tank, American Apparel, $19- I love how loose and comfortable these are for everyday gym-going.
3. Aerie Layered Sports Bra, American Eagle Outfitters- Aerie, $29.50- AMAZING. Who doesn't love a layered look? The picture doesn't do it justice (the yellow is more bright lime), but trust me, best activewear purchase I've made in a long time.
4. Vata Short, Athleta, $39- I don't have these yet either but plan on getting them soon. I love the way bike shorts feel but am not comfortable enough to go prancing around in spandex. This way you get the look and feel of two pairs of shorts for one!
5. Nike Free Run+ Womens, Foot Locker, $84.99- Okay I lied. THIS is the best activewear purchase I've made. EVER. They feel like you're wearing socks. I was inspired to buy these after Steve got a pair for Christmas and raved about them. If you run a lot, these are a must. My feet used to fall asleep when running (don't ask, I don't know) but not anymore! They're also Nike+ Sensor compatible so you can track your progress as you get fit.
6. Goody Stay Put Secure Fit Headbands, any drugstore or (my favorite) Target, about $9 for a pack of 3- I have bangs. They get sweaty. These solve that problem.
7. iPod Shuffle, apple, $49- Some jerkface stole my old shuffle from the gym (but I was the real idiot who left it there by accident). Without music a workout is pretty much torture so it had to be replaced. The new shuffles have the Voiceover feature that my old one didn't, so I guess I can look at it as an upgrade!
8. Ink'd SC Headphones, Skullcandy, $19.95 (but only $9.99 at Target!)- One of the few headphones I've found that stay in my ears while I'm jogging along. AND they come in a bajillion colors.
9. Hydraform Handheld Pocket by Amphipod, Athleta, $20- I don't have this yet either, but it's on the list of things-to-buy. The worst thing about working out outside is finding a place to keep all of your stuff. This not only makes it easy to carry your otherwise annoying water bottle, but also stores small necessities such as your keys and money. LOVE.
It's almost February. If you're still on your gym routine, reward yourself. You deserve it ;-)
Post a Comment